donderdag 11 december 2014

Is It Really Worth It?

Those who have been following the blog from the start - I'm talking about 3 years ago - might already know I'm not a huge fan of Primark. Reasons? Well, I'm just not a huge fan of poor quality clothing. Besides that, those clothes are only made to sell. It's not like they've got some spirit, philosophy or feeling - you know what I mean? - in them like it actually should be. And it's not like they'll last a lifetime... Okay, nothing lasts a lifetime but I've got two sweaters from my dad and they're about twenty years old (no kidding!) and they still look like they're brand new(ish). I've heard from Primark shoppers that they throw out all their clothes once a year to go buy new ones at Primark. So, I'm guessing that their sweaters won't last twenty years like my dad's.

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater. I'm just a disliker (there's a huge difference). I can, and I certainly already did, appreciate some pieces I've found there. And yes, I've already bought some things in Primark (now don't you call me a hypocrite). The stuff I've bought are pretty basic, such as this white oversized (see-through) shirt and this black fedora. For both I only paid 18 euros (11 euros for the shirt and 7 euros for the hat), which is really really cheap. And this is exactly why my relationship with Primark is so difficult. Finding these essentials for such a tiny price makes me love it, but that their clothing is made in sweatshops makes me hate it.


But my question is, why do people love it so much, and sometimes even refuse to buy their clothes elsewhere? I only started questioning myself this since yesterday, because they've opened a new store in Brussels. And I have to be honest, I did not expect that many people waiting for it to open. Like why should you wait in front of a store, that's gonna stay at the same place for about five more years, to be the "first one" to buy its low quality products? If it was a sample sale, I'd probably be one of the first ten people to stand in line, but Primark for... I just don't get it. It's ridiculous.

For the Dutchies over there I've got a nice article on shops like Primark and Action you must read; just click here.

Thank you, and take care.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.